Saturday, November 26, 2005

George Best


I am not much of a soccer fan. I went to a few games when I lived in the UK, but it never captured my imagination. Therefore, when I heard that George Best passed away, I did not put on a black armband. I was vaguely aware that he played soccer, but did not know that he played for Manchester United. I know George Best mainly because The Wedding Present named an album after him. He was apparently one of the best footballers ever, and his off the field antics, mainly involving booze and women, were a match for his on the field prowess. The best analogy seems to be Mickey Mantle: great baseball player, greater carouser. He appears to have captured the imagination of an entire generation of fans, who have passed on the story of his legendary antics to their children. The Guardian has a fine obituary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home