Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Just go, Harriet, just go

What was the President thinking when he nominated Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court? I am sure she is bright and hard working and a lovely woman, but man did he miss the mark with this one.

I have swum in legal circles long enough to know her type: She is a more than competent attorney and an able administrator. I am not knocking her for that, but any medium sized city has dozens of attorneys like her, and they should not be on the Supreme Court either. Nominating her means the President decided to ignore the deep conservative bench for a cipher, but a cipher that he, and apparently only he, knows. The President promised to nominate justices like Scalia and Thomas. I voted for the President at least in part because of that promise. I don't like being hoodwinked.

Any senator who voted against John Roberts simply cannot vote for Miers. There is no credible argument that Miers is qualified while Roberts is not. Hopefully there are enough other senators who will vote against Miers to scuttle her nomination. Maybe Harriet will do the honorable thing and withdraw. The President can redeem himself by nominating Posner, Easterbrook, or Kozinski. I doubt we'll be that lucky, but one can hope, can't one?

3 Comments:

Blogger Seva Alieva said...

GeekTool redux
O'Reilly European Open Source Convention October 17-20, 2005, Amsterdam, The Netherlands GeekTool is a System Preferences pane for Mac OS X that allows the user to make an arbitrary number of customizable ...
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

9:40 PM  
Blogger reni said...

Hey, you have a great blog here. I know this has nothing to do with your site but I have a new blog that I've just started, its been up for a couple of days. I gave my blog a cool title which seems to attract visitors:

www.adminsupervisor.blogspot.com

Have you got any suggestions about stuff you would like to read about??? Take a look if you get the chance. I want my blog to be cutting edge...a good read. lol...your'll understand when you see it!

The other site I have is a work at home mums site. Its all about, need I say it, working from home. I think people should have the choice to build their own income instead of somebody else’s. Freedom of well being and all of that...anyway take a look see what you think.

Keep up the good work, I'll be back to visit + I'll be at any suggestions you have about my blog.

9:50 PM  
Blogger weblogz said...

Doctorow at Speaker's Corner
Photo / Ingrid Marson p2p news / p2pnet: Speaker's Corner in the Marble Arch part of Hyde Park in London, England, is famous as THE place for soap box oration at its finest.
Hey you've got a great blog here, the best I've seen so far, keep up the good job! A few days ago I was surfing the web and came across this cool site on Online loans. It features all sorts of interesting information on Online loans and makes it super easy to apply online. Now I know that people want fast services I recommend they visit Online loans for quick and hassle-free service.

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home